The Technion Library, comprising a collection of 2000 books, was founded in 1924, on the old Technion campus in Hadar ha-Carmel, Haifa. Over the years the library grew slowly but steadily and by 1952 it held approximately 32,000 volumes, thanks to gifts from a large number of donors.
A turning point in the history of the library was its relocation, in 1965, to its new building, bearing the name of Col. J.R. Elyachar, in the Technion City. At the same time, most of the Technion faculties also moved to the new campus. The widespread location of the various academic units led to a proliferation of departmental libraries as research libraries.
In the eighties and nineties, the technical and readers’ services were computerized. This process, in spite of the widespread location of the various academic units, created a virtually united bibliographic system, available on the campus network, with one central catalog, one readers’ file and one set of rules.
The “Aleph” software, developed by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, was chosen by the Technion and all Israeli University libraries for computerizing all library services.
At first, the library offered Technion users searches in databases on CD-ROMS connected to the Novell network. Later, the library opened its own homepage and started linking to it databases and electronic journals with full-text articles that are available via the Internet.
In 2015, new portal was developed, uniting all Technion libraries offering: information search (books, scientific journals and articles etc), library information and services and relevant links.
Today there are 14 departmental/faculty libraries at the Technion in addition to the Central Library.